Monday, March 9, 2015

Skinny Chimichangas

I am making a lot of new lifestyle changes, and eating more healthy is at the top of my list.  Problem is, my kids are super picky eaters.  I love to cook, and I love a challenge.  One of my kids favorite meals that I make is chimichangas.  But it isn't the best for the waistline.  So I made a new recipe that my family would hopefully love just as much, and it was a hit! I got the inspiration from this recipe, skinny chimichangas.  Here is my take on it.


Skinny Chimichangas
Serves 12 (they freeze well)
7 WW Points Plus

1 lb ground turkey
1 c quinoa
        *cooked with 2 c water
                               1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 tbs Hidden Valley Ranch Mix
2 tbs taco seasoning mix
8oz can tomato sauce
15oz can pinto beans~ drained and rinsed
12 flour tortillas (I used the Costco tortillas)

directions:

1. Prepare quinoa; mix quinoa, water, and lipton mix in sauce pan.  Bring to a boil, then let simmer for abt 15 mins.

2. While quinoa is simmering, brown up ground turkey with ranch mix and taco seasoning

3. Add tomato sauce, pinto beans, and cooked quinoa to the browned ground beef and mix well. Cook for about 5 min, or until all ingredients are warmed through.

4. Cook tortillas.  *if you want to lower the points plus value, you can use a large wheat flour tortillas instead, I just prefer the flavor of Costcos tortillas.

5. Preheat oven to 400.  Spray baking sheet lightly with pam.

6. Add 1/2 cup of  ground beef mixture to center of each tortilla, wrap tightly.  Place tortillas seam side down onto the baking sheet.  Spray tops of chimichangas lightly with pam.

7. Cook for 10 mins, flip the chimichangas and cook or an additional 10 minutes.

*I like to top my chimichangas with lots of chopped veggies, salsa, and light sour cream (points not included in recipe)

**The recipe I use for homemade taco seasoning: *http://www.melskitchencafe.com/homemade-taco-         seasoning/http://www.melskitchencafe.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/

No comments:

Post a Comment